Food prep is no joke, but the reward is awesome. It is so nice to know that I have a few meals prepared for this week. Last week was a blur. Every night I came home and I had nothing ready or even in my mind about it. Does that sound familiar? I always end up eating whatever when I do not plan a couple of meals ahead of time. So yesterday I decided to make a few “make ahead meals”. I spent a couple of hours prepping and cooking so I still had most of the day to enjoy. Here is what happened.
MEXICAN CHICKEN AND QUINOA CASSEROLE
2 cups shredded chicken
1 tsp EVOO
1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup sweet potatoes, cubed in small pieces
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 (10 oz) pkg of frozen spinach, thawed making sure to squeeze all water out
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 (8 oz) jar of favorite salsa
shredded cheddar is optional
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cook quinoa according to pkg
3. Heat a large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tsp EVOO and saute onion until lightly browned. Add garlic, saute for 1 minute. Add the rest of the vegetables and combine well. Add tomato paste. Add chicken. Transfer mixture to another bowl and stir in quinoa and beans.
4. Add broth and salsa to the saute pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine to the mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into a casserole pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Note: I cooked my own chicken but the original recipe used shredded rotisserie chicken. Original recipe can be found at http://www.mjandhungryman.com along with other awesome recipes.
Also, make sure to squeeze all the water out of the spinach. I made into a ball and squeezed squeezed squeezed 🙂
I made one pan to freeze without the cheese. Can’t wait to dig into this at the end of the week.
Do you food prep for the week? What are your favorite make ahead meals?
Stay tuned for part 2 Spaghetti Pie!