10 Weight Loss Tips For 2013/Make It Happen
Have you been thinking of your New Year Resolution for 2013? I usually have a couple. One I will be working on is to get organized at home and at the workplace. Since I work in the health and fitness industry, the most common resolution I hear is about losing weight. Most of these people have strong intentions to follow through with their resolution but some are lost or confused on how to begin. This is a list of my top tips for weight loss for 2013.
- State your goal. I don’t mean just writing it down and keeping to yourself, I think we should state our goals to family, friends, coworkers etc. because having other people’s support and feeling accountable will motivate us more. So shout it out to the world if you have to. Also, set a plan of how you will accomplish this goal.
- Evaluate your lifestyle. Take a look at your current diet and eating habits. Good nutrition is a MUST if you are wanting to lose weight and make REAL changes. Of course, physical activity needs to be in your lifestyle as well. Find a nutrition and exercise plan that will work for you such as going to a gym or finding a workout group to join.
- Set a routine with your meals and workouts. Consistency in the kitchen and the gym will pay off.
- Sleep is very important. Go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each day. Make sure you are well rested for your workouts. If you are tired you are more likely to skip your workouts. Lack of sleep also increases the chance of unhealthy eating patterns.
- Avoid all processed foods as much as possible which means, anything packaged in a box or bag with more than 3 or 4 ingredients such as breads, cakes, cookies, candies, sodas, instant anything, chips, crackers, pastas, cereals, artificial anything, cream sauces, sugar, all junk etc… If your great-grandmother would not recognize it, don’t eat it.
- Eat whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, lean meats, chicken, fish, brown rice, eggs, nuts, healthy fats such as avocados, olives, olive oils, nut butters etc.. Prepare meals at home. Restaurants can sabotage your efforts so visit them sparingly and choose wisely 🙂
- Drink plenty of water each day.
- Physical activity will help you accelerate your weight loss efforts as well as helping to keep your body’s systems fit and strong. To see results you are going to have to step out of your comfort zone. Find an exercise program that you like and that you will be able to stick with. Push yourself to be the best you can be at it. Group exercise classes are great because the other people will help keep you motivated, the classes are fun and your workout is already planned for you. You just have to show up with a good attitude 🙂
- Keep up with your calorie intake. There are apps on smartphones that will help you track your intake. Or, just go to the internet and find a free program to help you track it. Remember to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in. Most people do not realize exactly how much is going in until they begin to track it. It may shock you.
- Find a buddy to join you in your resolution. Keep each other on track and accountable. Start a weight loss contest at your work or gym. Get everyone to put in $5 or $10 dollars, set an ending date and whoever loses the most weight wins the prize money. I have held a weight loss contest at our gym in the past ( I will organize one again in 2013) and it worked well. They all lost weight, so they were winners too.
If you are wanting to lose weight, become healthy and fit, you have to work for it. There is no easy or quick “fix” or pill that will do the trick. Let 2013 be the year you finally accomplish your goals so go and MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Do you want to lose weight? Do you believe in setting goals?
Disclaimer: This blog is written by me. It describes my opinions and my own experiences. Consult your own doctor before starting a new exercise and nutrition program.
Posted on December 20, 2012, in Health & Fitness Goals, Motivation, Top 10's, Weight Loss and tagged diet, diet tips, Eating, Health, New Year Resolutions, Nutrition, Physical exercise, Physical fitness, processed food, top 10, Weight loss, weight loss tips. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.